Stop whining and get with The Progromme

Stop whining and get with The Progromme

Friday, July 18, 2008

Electrical Risks at Bases in Iraq Worse Than Previously Said

This story has been developing for some time now. KBR is contracted by the government to provide basic services including housing and electrical for our troops in Iraq. They are making money hand over fist but are unable to keep up with the workload. KBR has resorted to subcontracting with unskilled Iraqi workers, payig them only a few dollars a day. There is ample evidence that KBR was aware of the electrical problems at Radwaniya Palace Complex, near Baghdad’s airport, where Sergeant Maseth died. On January 2, 2008, Staff Sergeant Ryan Maseth was electrocuted while taking a shower in his living quarters. The system was not properly grounded. 12 other soldiers have also been electrocuted since 2003.

Maseth's mother says she pressed the military for answers, eventually uncovering more details about her son's electrocution. The surging current left burn marks across his body, even singeing his hair. Army reports show that he probably suffered a long, painful death.
Fellow soldiers had to break down the door to help, said Patrick Cavanaugh, an attorney for Maseth's parents.
"When they kicked down the door, they smelled burning hair, and they rushed over, saw Sgt. Maseth lying there unconscious, and one of the rescuers himself was shocked electrically and sustained a fairly good jolt because the water and the pipes were still electrified," Cavanaugh said.


Who is KBR anyways. Kellog, Brown and Root. They are also a subsidiary of the infamous Halliburton.

The New York Times

July 18, 2008

WASHINGTON — Shoddy electrical work by private contractors on United States military bases in Iraq is widespread and dangerous, causing more deaths and injuries from fires and shocks than the Pentagon has acknowledged, according to internal Army documents.
During just one six-month period — August 2006 through January 2007 — at least 283 electrical fires destroyed or damaged American military facilities in Iraq, including the military’s largest dining hall in the country, documents obtained by The New York Times show. Two soldiers died in an electrical fire at their base near Tikrit in 2006, the records note, while another was injured while jumping from a burning guard tower in May 2007.
And while the Pentagon has previously reported that 13 Americans have been electrocuted in Iraq, many more have been injured, some seriously, by shocks, according to the documents. A log compiled earlier this year at one building complex in Baghdad disclosed that soldiers complained of receiving electrical shocks in their living quarters on an almost daily basis.

No comments: